There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread, Mahatma Gandhi.
I have seen the deep suffering of the Somali people with my own eyes, who are looking for safety and food. Refugee children who are dying and their mothers who have become walking skeletons, are faced with the choice of which child to save, Antonio Gutiérrez.
There are many reasons:
- Personal and national debt.
Third world debt should be cancelled: “Firstly, several governments want to spend more money on poverty reduction but they lose that money in paying off their debts. Secondly, the lenders knew that they gave it to dictators or oppressive regimes and thus, they are responsible for their actions, not the people living in the countries of those regimes. […] Also, many lenders knew that a great proportion of the money would sometimes be stolen through corruption. […] Many of the debts were signed with unfair terms,” Jubilee Debt Campaign and Debt of developing countries.
- War, corruption, and oppression.
- Lack of schooling and poor education.
- A greedy economic culture that stands for immediate gratification (in the here and now), is obsessed with short-term profits rather than long-term sustainable growth, and couldn’t care less about the environmental and human impact of its actions.
- Natural disasters, which are exacerbated by climate change.
- Financial market speculation on food prices.
- Others: racism and discrimination, drug abuse, high medical bills, divorce and parents leaving the family, unemployment, teenage pregnancy, etc.