There’s no room for passive spectators: words without actions are empty and futile. The life we live, not the words we speak, determines our eternal destiny, John MacArthur
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing, Edmund Burke.
So you want to make a difference in this world, make this world a better place by offering something, helping people who need it, giving your time, money, and even your heart, but don’t know how or where to start.
Let me suggest some ideas.
- Firstly, educate yourself, get informed, find out the facts, what is going on in the world, and create your own opinion about global issues that affect us all: hunger, war, terrorism, water scarcity, etc.
Promote a reform in education which helps to increase citizens’ knowledge and awareness. We must build a society with educated people able to think, discern, understand what is going on, and act accordingly. Do not let yourself be manipulated by the mass media, do no get so distracted by reality TV shows, gossip, videogames, series, sports, etc.
- Be the change you wish to see in the world: Drive less, use more public transport, walk or ride your bicycle. Reduce waste, consume less, try to reuse, refill, and recycle as much as possible. Consume less energy; turn off electrical appliances/lights when you are not using them, use less heat and air-conditioning, and buy energy-efficient products. Conserve water at home by turning off the tap and taking shorter showers. You don’t need continuous running water when brushing your teeth, washing the dishes, your hands, etc. Boycott items made of fur and leather, etc.
- Start small, and then work your way up. Consider your abilities as well as your interests and limitations (time, health, etc.).
- You may want to read our free on-line e-book The poor little rich man that inspires you to make a difference.
- You are not alone, and neither are you too small or old to make a difference! Watch the video The girl who silenced the world for 5 minutes, Severn Cullis-Suzuki, a girl born and raised in Vancouver, founded the Environmental Children’s Organization (ECO), and raised money to attend the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro when she was 12. She delivered a passionate emotional speech which inspired millions and demonstrated that everyone can be effective and useful.
- Be proactive, put pressure on politicians to end wars and take firm action against global warming, poverty, etc. Join other people, NGOs, and movements. Volunteer, participate in protests or rallies, write letters to governments, companies, and newspapers voicing your concerns.
- Donate money to charities or non-profit organizations.
- Visit HandsOn Network that tries to inspire, equip, and mobilize people to take action to change the world or DoSomething.org that “encourages young people to create their own vision for making a difference in their community and provides them with the resources and support needed.”
- Online Christian Colleges has a very nice article: “40 Creative ways for kids to volunteer this winter” with some good tips to help you become a volunteer.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
We are people who want to change the world. We hope to continue to do our bit and make a difference in helping make the world a better, more sustainable, prosperous, and fairer place. We are social and religious activists. Anawim is the founder and leader of the project; I am always willing to give free talks and lectures about the social problems that exist in our world today. View all posts by Anawim