Síguenos / Follow us!
Water is life’s mater and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water, Albert Szent-Gyorgyi.
However, 783 million people lack access to safe, drinking water.
Read our free Water ebook for a gentle introduction to this topic.
- What does “Water conservation” mean? It “refers to reducing the usage of water and recycling of waste water for different purposes such as agricultural cleaning, manufacturing, and agricultural irrigation” (Wikipedia entry).
- Why is it such a big deal?
“Water scarcity already affects every continent. Around 1.2 billion people, or almost one-fifth of the world’s population, live in areas of physical scarcity, and 500 million people are approaching this situation. […] There is enough fresh water on the planet for six billion people, but it is distributed unevenly and too much of it is wasted” (United Nations ‘Water for Life’ 2005-2015.)
- How much water do you use? Go to The Home Water Works website, or H20 CONSERVE. All of these sites estimate how much water is used in your home.
- What can I do about it?
“There are a number of ways to save water, and they all start with you” Water Use It Wisely
- Conserving water at home can be as simple as turning the tap off and taking shorter showers. You don’t need continuous running water when brushing your teeth, washing the dishes, your hands, etc., Alliance for Water Education.
- “Be careful about what you throw down your sink or toilet,”
- Use energy efficient dishwashers, washing machines, and dry clothes on the washing line. Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Install toilets and taps that use the minimum necessary amount of water.
- “Verify that your home is leak free. Repair dripping taps by replacing washers. Check for toilet tank leaks by adding food colouring to the tank,” WaterSavingTips.org.
- Get involved. Become a volunteer or a member of an NGO. Donate your money wisely, fund, “change the world and give clean water!”: Caritas, Oxfam, TheWaterProject, WaterForPeople, etc.
Be aware, do your own research before rushing into action! Donate your time and money to charities that are fast and efficient and do not spend huge amounts of money on fund-raising and staff salaries.
Compártelo / Share it!