Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime, Ernest Hemingway.
All war is deception, Sun Tzu.
What is a war?
It is a conflict carried out by force of arms, either between countries or between parties within a nation.
What types of wars are there?
- Conventional warfare is the use of conventional weapons and battlefield tactics between opposing sovereign states each having access to large arsenals of military capabilities.
- Convention warfare is related to battles between states’ regular armed forces. In opposition, Unconventional warfare covers all military and quasi-military operations other than conventional warfare. Some examples are: guerrilla warfare, sabotage, subversion, etc.
- Asymmetrical warfare, insurgency, terrorism, etc. These terms are used when opposing forces are not equally matched, typically a violent conflict between a formal military force and an informal, less well-equipped and supported opponent. For instance, the battle between the Israelis and some Palestinian organizations (Hamas and Islamic Jihad) is a classic case of asymmetrical warfare. Palestinian groups deploy rockets or suicide bombers against Israel and its army which is considered one of the most technologically advanced armies in the world.
- Chemical warfare is the use of highly toxic manmade chemicals in battle, such as tear gas, sulfur mustard, or pepper spray.
- Nuclear warfare is the use of nuclear weapons (atomic, hydrogen, and neutron bombs) for mass destruction. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are good examples of this kind of warfare. They show us that nuclear warfare is terrible, devastating, and should never be unleashed.
- Civil war is a violent conflict between organized groups within a nation; usually involving differing factions, religious groups, or powers.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
We are people who want to change the world. We hope to continue to do our bit and make a difference in helping make the world a better, more sustainable, prosperous, and fairer place. We are social and religious activists. Anawim is the founder and leader of the project; I am always willing to give free talks and lectures about the social problems that exist in our world today. View all posts by Anawim