Google Earth is a virtual globe, map, and geographical information program that lets you fly anywhere on Earth, explore oceans and outer space.
It is free for personal use, and available in Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS. It has many great features and tools that can help history and geography to come alive:
- Google Sky shows you live images of galaxies, constellations, celestial bodies, and the movements of planets. It is activated by clicking on the Sky option from the top toolbar.
- Street View is a powerful tool that allows users to explore the world through 360-degree street-level imagery. It is not available everywhere. When it is available, an orange figure of a person will show up. You just need to drag it onto the map.
- You can also travel back in time through historical imagery. When it is available, there is a clock icon. After you click on it, drag the slider onto the date that you want to travel to.
- As the old saying goes: “Too much of a good thing is a bad thing”, there is so much information that Google Earth needs to organize it into layers. You can turn different layers on and off by clicking the check boxes. Some examples are: 3D Buildings, Oceans, Weather, Global Awareness, etc.
- Google Earth also has a flight simulator. Click on Tools, and select Enter Flight Simulator or press Ctrl, Alt, and the letter ‘A’ simultaneously.
- There are many more options: measure distances and paths (Tool, Ruler), take or even create guided tours (left-hand menu Places), travel the oceans (left-hand menu Layers, Oceans), etc.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
We are people who want to change the world. We hope to continue to do our bit and make a difference in helping make the world a better, more sustainable, prosperous, and fairer place. We are social and religious activists. Anawim is the founder and leader of the project; I am always willing to give free talks and lectures about the social problems that exist in our world today. View all posts by Anawim