Síguenos / Follow us!
Through humour, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. Once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it, Bill Cosby.
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, Monty Python.
Life is not only about work, clients, or academic results. Our life is rapidly changing in all aspects in such a manner that some of us may not be ready for the changes. Cultivate a good sense of humour, laugh at yourself and your circumstances because what you think is clear and certain today, may well not be tomorrow. It is not about denying problems or responsibilities, but learning to cope with them in a healthier way.
“Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it, and then move on,” Bob Newhart. We all get our share of tragedies, but laughter allows us to accept that there are many things we cannot change, as well as, connecting with loved ones, temporarily stepping outside our space and time, putting things into perspective, making a stand about an issue, dealing with it, and finally, moving on.
It helps us see the bigger picture, reduce our fears, problems, and worries, and improve our attitude towards them. In short, it provides many resources for overcoming them or, at least, coping with and accepting them.
As Elbert Hubbard said and I quote: “Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.” The idea is to stop being serious all the time, and to face your problems and tragedies with good humour. Do not get overwhelmed or confused by obstacles along the way, by your circumstances, by how far away your goals are. It is about how to make smarter, richer, more pleasant and desirable lifestyle choices that encourage constant and hard work, a good spirit and sacrifice despite obstacles and adversities.
Laughter improves our health, for example, it relieves emotional stress and pain: “Laughter is a tranquillizer with no side effects,” Arnold H. Glasgow; “Each time a man laughs, he adds a couple of days to his life,” Curzio Malaparte.
It encourages positive thoughts and feelings, helps increase mental satisfaction by making it easier for people to cope with difficult situations, it generates happiness and improves relationships with relatives, colleagues, friends, and partners, and therefore, increases our chances of success.
Humour is very important for a healthy lifestyle, and yet, it is often neglected. Let me show you how to get started.
- Read our free on-line e-book Humour.
- Visit our Humour Website.
- Watch a funny film. Perhaps, you might enjoy Charlie Chaplin. He is the most well remembered and celebrated comedian of all time. For example, The Kid is available on YouTube for free. Buster Keaton was the most athletic of all silent movie comedians. I really love The Marx Brothers. Their humour was unique, irreverent, innovative, and really hilarious. Monty Python, Benny Hill, and Mr. Bean are all examples of British humour at its best.
- Do not let the weather or your problems bring you down! Just remember, it doesn’t cost anything to smile.
- Be nice and smile at everyone you meet: “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around,” Leo Buscaglia. “A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside,” Denis Waitley.
- Read a joke on-line. Write, remember, and share jokes and friendly events that have happened to you. Life is too short to be serious all the time, so make a funny face and laugh at yourself. Please be careful when you are surfing and searching! What are the best websites to get jokes from? Jokes & Riddles for Children, Ahajokes.Com, Jokes-Best.com, KickassHumor, and Unijokes.com.
- Surround yourself with friendly and cheerful people, the ones who get the giggles, the ones who are always telling jokes and funny stories. Add to the conversation, when appropriate, funny jokes, quotes, and witty remarks. However, be careful, there is a narrow line between a funny story or joke and to poke fun at a person, say something that’s just plain wrong, or being rude. Avoid sexist and discriminatory jokes. If you offend someone and realise that you have, apologise sincerely and ask for forgiveness.
- Read Uncyclopedia, a satirical website that makes a parody of Wikipedia. It is harmless and endless fun, and a hilarious spoof.
- Funny things are everywhere, even Emily, our robot, has a good sense of humour. Try it!: Google(Chuck), What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?, Tell me a joke, BURP, among many others.
- Stop being such a serious and dull person. Awaken your inner child. Get surprised and grateful with the little things, and enjoy each and every moment of your life. Laugh at yourself, your circumstances, problems, etc. Find the humorous side in everything, laugh at your mistakes, and turn your embarrassment into a source of laughter. Notice that funny things are everywhere, even some traffic signs are amusing.
- Read a comic online. Gocomics has many popular comic strips to choose from. If you are a child, parental supervision is needed!
Please remember, don’t ever let a day go by without putting a smile on your face!
Compártelo / Share it!