- Gimp is a free, open source, and extremely powerful image editing program that offers the kind of functionality usually associated with top end, expensive software developed for professionals like Adobe Photoshop.
- Inkscape is a professional vector graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It's free and open source. It's similar to Adobe Illustrator.
- Others: Pinta "is a free, open source program for drawing and image editing. Its goal is to provide users with a simple yet powerful way to draw and manipulate images on Linux, Mac, and Windows." Krita is a professional free and open source painting program. MyPaint "is a a nimble, distraction-free, and easy tool for digital painters. It lets you focus on the art instead of the program. You work on your canvas with the minimum distractions, bringing up the interface only when you need it."
- Free Screenshots Apps: Greenshot "is a light-weight screenshot software tool for Windows."
ShareX is a free, open source advanced screenshot capture, screen capture, file sharing, and productivity application
- Blender "is a free and open source 3D animation suite. It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation."
- 3D modeling software and character design (free alternatives to Poser, Character Creator 3, iClone): Mixamo "allows you to create, rig and animate unique characters for your projects." MakeHuman is a free and open source 3D character creator. VRoid Studio is a free 3d anime characters creation tool
GIMP is expandable and extendible. You can install new brushes (Techzillo, Noupe), patterns, gradients, plug-ins, and scripts. How to install them? Find the appropriate folder (Edit, Preferences, Folders) and drop them there.
I am a social activist. I have two Bachelor's degrees, Maths and Computer & Software Engineering. I also have a Ph.D. in Psychology. I have written nine published books, four scientific articles, and five scientific presentations. I simply want to contribute to making a difference where it counts, so that we make the world a better, more sustainable, prosperous, and fairer place. I am always willing to give free talks and lectures about the social problems that exist in our world today. View all posts by Anawim