Síguenos / Follow us!
To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don’t worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest, Unknown.
What is it?
Fear is an emotion, a basic survival mechanism, the ability to recognise danger leading to an urge to confront it or flee from it (also known as the fight-or-flight response).
There are many types of fears and phobias, from the fear of animals (spiders, insects, snakes, etc.), monsters, and ghosts, to fears of getting lost, of being alone, failure, the dark, the bogeyman, etc. Doubts and fears can prevent us from chasing our dreams, from achieving success in our personal and professional lives.
Fears & Phobias in kids
You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind, Dale Carnegie
OK, what can we do about it?
- First, read our free ebooks Monsters y There is a monkey under my bed They are a gentle introduction to this important topic.
- It is necessary to recognise that the world is a scary place and we all have fears. We must accept them.
- “Do something, like playing outside, listening to music, or watching TV. Talk to a parent or a friend,” KidsHealth, Kids Talk About: Feeling Scared.
- “If you are scared of a dog, move quietly and slowly away from it,” New Zealand Dog Safety, All about safety with dogs.
- If you are afraid of the dark: Keep a night light on. Sleep with a flashlight or a comfort object. Put glow in the dark star and planet stickers.
- “The key to conquering your fears is only inside yourself. It all depends on the power and strength of your motivation to overcome your fears. If you really want to achieve something, you will do everything it takes to achieve it,” PsychTronics, How to overcome your fears within 10 seconds.
- Are you scared of monsters? HubPages advises you to watch Monsters Inc: “These monsters are actually scared of children and other humans like we are some kind of terrorist in their eyes“.
- Perhaps, we need extreme measures in place, as Prudent baby put it: “We have a problem and its name is MONSTERS! These dreadful beasts live in Scarlet’s closet and they are such pesky creatures […] We have had enough of their frightfulness and last week we declared THAT’S IT: Time to make some MONSTER SPRAY!“
- Pray (if you are a religious person of course), read a good book, avoid scary and violent stuff (television, books, movies, etc.), find a security object (teddy bears, dolls, blankets), leave your bedroom door open, and use a night light.
- Tips for Parents: “Try to make the child feel comfortable to express their anxiety and take the time to listen to the child in private. Talk to them calmly and ask the child what they want you to do,” Metroparent, Calming Kids Fears, Tips and Advice for Parents
Remember: unless we’re being physically threatened, the fear is only in our minds. Fear can be defeated by rational arguments (“monsters do no exist,” “failure is the mother of success”); by talking about them with your loved ones and friends; by accepting them; by strong, decisive, and brave actions (“Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it)”; by facing it every time it comes your way; by putting your faith in God, etc.
If you are are experiencing any kind of fear, please follow these simple instructions: sit down; breathe deeply and fully to get enough oxygen; relax, try to calm yourself down so the fear recedes a little; apply some of the advice that we’ve offered you: get distracted, think logically, talk to someone, find a security object, etc.
Compártelo / Share it!