Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds, J. Robert Oppenheimer (after witnessing the Trinity atomic bomb test).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones, Albert Einstein.
All Warfare Is Based Upon Deception, The Art of War.
- Wars kill and injure both soldiers and civilians: World War II (1939-1945, approximately 60-85 million people died), Mongol conquests (1206–1324, 30-60 million people died), World War I (1914-1918, 16,5-40 million casualties), Second Sino-Japanese War (1937–1945, 20 million people died), etc.
- Soldiers suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, hallucinations, nightmares, chronic headaches, etc., some of them end up committing suicide.
- War rape. “Sexual violence haunts its victims long after the initial attack. Each act of rape humiliates its victims; emasculates men who are unable to protect them; and traumatizes victims, their families, and entire communities in times of war,” The Christian Science Monitor
- Military use of children. Thousands of children serve as soldiers in armed conflicts around the world. They are forced into sexual slavery and used as fighters, couriers, spies, human shields, suicide bombers, domestic labourers (cooking, cleaning), etc.
- Economic costs. “The US federal price tag for the post-9/11 wars is over $6.4 trillion dollars,” Cost of Wars. “World military expenditure grows to $1.8 trillion in 2018,” sipri. Military spending drains funds from critical social, educational, health care, and environmental needs.
- Refugees. “An unprecedented 70.8 million people around the world have been forced from home. Among them are nearly 25.9 million refugees, over half of whom are under the age of 18,” (26.4 million at the end of 2011) The UN Refuge Agency. During conflicts many people flee from their homes and become refugees. They may not survive due to the lack of food, water, and shelter, they may be denied basic health care, suffer unemployment, economic hardship, and the loss of homes and community. Many of them become victims of human trafficking, rape, and violence.
- Wars also have environmental costs. “Wars destroy forests and wildlife. They contaminate the land, air and water. […] Bombs pollute, poisoning the land with unexploded shells and toxic chemicals. Bombs can’t locate or neatly destroy hidden chemical or biological weapons (CBW), but they can cause the uncontrolled spread of deadly CBW agents”, Environmentalists against war.
“The rate of major depression is five times as high among soldiers as civilians; intermittent explosive disorder, which results in episodes of extreme anger, is six times as high; and post-traumatic stress disorder was nearly 15 times higher than among civilians, the study found,” cnn, Study: Rates of many mental disorders much higher in soldiers than in civiliansm, March 4, 2014. Veterans are more likely to be unemployed, homeless, and mentally ill than the civilian population.
Rape is a cheap, simple weapon for all parties in the war, more easily obtainable than bullets or bombs. It is used as a weapon to terrorize individual women and girls, and also to terrorize their families and to terrorize entire communities, (Nzigire, Pamela Shifman).
I am a social activist. I have two Bachelor's degrees, Maths and Computer & Software Engineering. I also have a Ph.D. in Psychology. I have written nine published books, four scientific articles, and five scientific presentations. I simply want to contribute to making a difference where it counts, so that we make the world a better, more sustainable, prosperous, and fairer place. I am always willing to give free talks and lectures about the social problems that exist in our world today. View all posts by Anawim