Síguenos / Follow us!
Biology is the study of living things, such as, animals, plants, and micro-organisms, and their vital processes.
All living things are composed of cells. A cell is the very smallest unit of living matter. For example, our brain is made up of billions of brain cells often called neurons.
Human cells are like most animal cells. They contain a nucleus, cytoplasm, membrane, mitochondria, and ribosomes.
Mitosis is the process by which the nucleus divides into two nuclei. It is the essential process underlying the reproduction of cells.
All cells are divided into two types: prokaryotic and eukaryotic. Prokaryotic ones are those that do not have a nucleus. They are generally much smaller and simpler than eukaryotic cells. Eukaryotic cells are called as such because they have a true nucleus. They are much larger and much more complex than prokaryotic cells. Animals, plants, and fungi (yeast and mushrooms) are all eukaryotic organisms.
The genetic material of eukaryotes is located in the nucleus and organized into specialized structures known as chromosomes. A chromosome is made of DNA and proteins.
DNA is an essential molecule for life. It contains all the genetic instructions that an organism needs in order to live, grow, develop, and reproduce.
Molecules are small particles that make up all living and non-living things
Molecules are made up of atoms that are stuck together by chemical bonds. Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. They are the particles of which we, and everything around us, are made.
To find out more information about this topic:
- Read our free ebooks about animals (Extraordinary Animals!, A very bad day!, How many legs do I have?), plantas ( Plants), and our Endangered species
- BBC Nature is the BBC site dedicated to the animal kingdom. It includes the latest nature news, video clips, photographs, amazing animal facts, etc.
- Positive HealthWellness, Fitness, All You Need to Know About Pets Improving Your Health. A resource on how pets improve your health. This post is comprehensive, up to date, and contains quotes with trustworthy sources to give their readers the best information available.
- Sheppard Software, Animals for Kids is a site with hundreds of educational games, animal information, quizzes, and more.
- The Rudiments of Wisdom ENCYCLOPAEDIA, ANIMALS is a place where you can find many educational comics about animals.
- Animal Planet lets you explore cat breeds, dog breeds, wild animals, and pets. It offers you a good variety of articles, exclusive photos, videos, games, etc.
- Switch Zoo lets you make animals, build habitats, play animal games, learn about animals, and much more.
- Bugguide is a buzzing -Sorry, I couldn’t help the joke- “community of naturalists who enjoy learning about and sharing our observations of insects, spiders, and other related creatures. We enjoy the opportunity to instill in others the fascination and appreciation that we share for the intricate lives of these oft-maligned creatures.”
- National Geographic Kids is an excellent site, full of superb videos and good content.
- TheButterflySite.com, and The Children Butterfly site are full of information about butterflies: life cycle, fun facts, links, pictures, activities, etc.
Compártelo / Share it!